Disclaimer: This is a personal web page. Contents written here do not represent the position of my employer.

Sunday, May 04, 2014

 

Belated Gnome .NET Hackfest post

OMG, I should feel embarrassed about posting such a belated blog post (yes, the hackfest was more than 6 months ago), but oh well, at least I can say I have enough excuses:
So this doesn't leave enough room for blogging, which is a necessary but a less appealing task. But I have to say it somewhere: the hackfest that David Nielsen organized was amazing, the best kind I have attended so far, as I came to meet for the first time some awesome hackers such as him, and:

(BTW I didn't include the awesome Bertrand Lorentz, fellow Banshee co-maintainer and GtkSharp gatekeeper, in the list, because I had already met him before, it wasn't my first time!).

And it was with the latter Stephan (not Stefan) the one I ended up spending more time with, because we decided to work on the new GStreamerSharp bindings since the 2nd day of the hackfest (the 1st day I mainly worked with Bertrand to release Banshee 2.9.0, our first Gtk3 compatible release, which he already blogged about).

So what was special about this work?
"Polish" sounds like easy work, but it wasn't. We fixed lots of crashes, and we contributed fixes to GObject-Introspection metadata upstream. And we proposed big patches for the gtk-sharp GAPI generator. And of course we updated our Banshee managed playback backend to the new GStreamerSharp API.

Main kudos should go to him though. I mainly added Banshee expertise, gtk-sharp contributing expertise, and lots of motivation (or at least I thought).

We had a big success: a Banshee playing audio with GStreamerSharp. Unfortunately video playback was freezing. But some months later after the hackfest we fixed it, and we released first GStreamerSharp 1.0 preview, which we called "0.99.0", and we released the first Banshee release that depends on this work: 2.9.1.

And it was my first time in Austria (and in Vienna). Overall a great experience, and I need to mention our awesome sponsors:


The GNOME Foundation, providers of the GNOME desktop


The University of Vienna and the Institute for Theoretical Chemistry, our venue sponsors

Collabora Ltd, Open Source Consulting

Norkart AS, Norway’s premier supplier of Geographic Information Systems and related consulting


Novacoast IT, Professional Services and Product Development

 
Hotel Schottenpoint, our hotel partner

Labels: , , , ,


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Categories

RSS of the category Gnome
RSS of the category Mono
RSS of the category C#
RSS of the category Programming
RSS of the category Mozilla
RSS of the category Web Development
RSS of the category Security
RSS of the category Open Source
RSS of the category Engineering
RSS of the category Misc
RSS of the category Politics

Contact with me:
aaragonesNOSPAMes@gnNOSPAMome.org

Archive
My Photo
Name:
Location: Hong Kong, Hong Kong
Follow me on Twitter